Saturday, January 22, 2011

A day with the conservatory

 Two hours later and I emerged from the Como Park Conservatory in St. Paul Minnesota. I intended to spend sometime viewing the vegetation through my lens and become immersed in the shapes, light and growth. I had never explored the conservatory after living in the metro area for nearly ten years. Now I went as a visitor, to consciously take a moment of time out of a day - to stop and pay attention. The sun was out on this winter day - rays of light bounced off of palm leaves and water droplets on flowers glistened. I started off slightly hesitate to duck under, bend down further and lean around to see something at a different angle. This feeling quickly faded and even though there were many people around me - I hadn't noticed. All I heard was the trickle of water and steam pipes gurgling from behind the ferns. All I saw was color, light and shapes. This visit served multiple purposes - I had never been and it was time for a photo exercise. It also was my conscious effort to take a moment to be, to rid myself of unpleasant interactions and to process experiences through the photo journey. It worked. I was in awe of what this sanctuary is and does for many - suddenly other events were put into their rightful perspective and the photo exercise turned a hard day into a fantastic one. I suppose I could have done the same in less time, but happy I had the opportunity to explore at length.

 

 
 
 

 

No comments: