"Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Friday, September 7, 2007
Thessaloniki.....Northern Greece
Back up to the port city I went....I had a few days to spare before heading back to the confines of military life. So I wandered the strange city of Thessaloniki like a gypsy with no agenda. The city was originally named after King Philippe's oldest daughter (one of Alexander the Great's generals) and later stood as a Roman headquarters. After the port city experienced several different conquerors it didn't actually become part of Greece until the 20th century. Interesting, I know, but more importantly was the strangeness of the city. I visited the ruins, found some cyber/bar cafes....walked some more, was inspired by colorful graffiti (thank you Dave) and then found a Guinness sign on a quiet side street with lime trees out front. I became a regular there for my brief stay in the dirty port city. Read a book, drank a beer, ate a sandwich, found a photography museum. Oddly enough the two featured photographers were women from the Midwest who specialized in photographing Army installations and a few locations were in Bloomington, MN...who would have thought. Back on a train to Skopje for me and back to work in Kosovo.....
Wow! Such great pics. Thank you for posting them. I remember Santorini very fondly, and your pics bring back all the small details, and the light which was so amazing.
I've got to start blogging again. Michelle and I took some good pics on our Boundary Waters trip, and I'll be in Amsterdam in October playing music with Mike Gunther. We got a teeny-weeny Canon IS800 and I really like the image stabilizer. I never would use digital zoom before, but now I'm not afraid too...they're never 100% clear, but they ain't half bad either. They key is that it's pocket size and there's no good reason not to have it with you.
We are fine, it's getting cool outside and we saw a few trees starting to turn up north by your secret camping spot.
And you know fall's just around the corner when football starts. Vikings won yesterday in the NFL regular-season opener (if you care).
Looks like you had a great trip. Good luck heading back...
1 comment:
Wow! Such great pics. Thank you for posting them. I remember Santorini very fondly, and your pics bring back all the small details, and the light which was so amazing.
I've got to start blogging again. Michelle and I took some good pics on our Boundary Waters trip, and I'll be in Amsterdam in October playing music with Mike Gunther. We got a teeny-weeny Canon IS800 and I really like the image stabilizer. I never would use digital zoom before, but now I'm not afraid too...they're never 100% clear, but they ain't half bad either. They key is that it's pocket size and there's no good reason not to have it with you.
We are fine, it's getting cool outside and we saw a few trees starting to turn up north by your secret camping spot.
And you know fall's just around the corner when football starts. Vikings won yesterday in the NFL regular-season opener (if you care).
Looks like you had a great trip. Good luck heading back...
Post a Comment