Monday, June 4, 2007

Cars, Burgers, Wheelchairs and 25K Road March




I haven't blogged in a while...so there are many photos from different visits and events listed on this entry. The first B&W is from a Serbian mechanic, a Ukrainian officer and my Serbian translator. We kept passing this guys shop and noticing two older looking cars, so we stopped to chat a bit with him. The car he's leaning on is a 1955 Russian vehicle. He also had a 1962 Mercedes. He refused to sell us the vehicles and said he was going to keep them to fix up and sell. Next in line is the Ukrainian officer, myself and Mario (Serb translator) waiting for our hamburgers...best in town (Kamenica). The third photo is me taking down size information from Mr. Kovani's wheelchair. I'm looking at my translator to explain what the man is telling me. I'm working on getting him a new wheelchair because his current one doesn't work too well anymore. The next several photos are from the DANCON (Danish Army) puts this 25K (15 mile) road march all the time and any NATO forces are welcome to register and participate. My whole team and a few from the other Civil Affair team marched in it this past Sunday. We carried 22 lbs and a lot the march was a steep incline up a side of a mountain... can you say ouch! There were over 1400 participates and it was the most internationally based event I've ever been apart of. There were Greeks, Spanish, Itailians, Germans, Slovakians, Danish, Belgium, US and many more nationalities marching all together. It was one of the hardest, most rewarding and inspiring events I've ever accomplished.....but I'll never do it again!
The last few photos is me taking in a beautiful scene with a fun hat on....just for fun, because we have to have some fun and an interview I did at the Gjilane/Gnjilane school of music for a U.S. contractor called 'Kosovo Now,' TV/Radio Tema. The last Civil Affairs rotation donated a bunch of instruments, bathrooms and computer equipment. The children are so talented there, I was lukcy enough to listen to them sing and play....it was amazing.






























































4 comments:

Sassy Zgirl said...

Girl, you ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have been so busy. I hope you have recovered from the march. Ouch is right! The hat Rocks and you look great. Keep up the great work you are doing for our Country!
Love ya-Karrie

Anonymous said...

Kris!!!!

You're still plugging away at making a difference, I love reading all about it. Jason comes home in 1 month supposedly!!! it's the final countdown, and I am a mess. Can't wait!!! I'll see him in August.

Thinking of you, and all of our soldiers worldwide.

"Until they all come home"

Best,
Megan :)

Emily said...

Sooooooooooo insanely, totally, super proud of you.

Curious if the situation with the wheelchair guy is something you were requested to help with, or if it's something you just come upon and decide to take care of. His wheelchair is obviously old. Where will you be getting a new one from? Army surplus? Do you arrange for a private donation within Kosovo? Do you contact American agencies? I'm ever the policy student/reporter, I guess.

(Oh, and both hats look great on you! I'm partial to the floppy Army one myself.)